Friday, October 8, 2010

Season of the Witch

Today was the start of Halloween earring season, by virtue of, uh, my whim. My Halloween earrings number in the...the more than some. It is my favorite holiday, after all. Today, to kick off the season, I opted for the little pewter witches that I got in Salem, Mass.

I really like travelling to holiday-appropriate destinations at Halloween. I've been to Salem and Sleepy Hollow and the 2001 Lucasfilm Halloween Party (near San Francisco). I met George Lucas in line for the port-a-johns, but that's a blog post for another day. I have also been to Roswell, NM, but that was during the UFO Festival, which is usually the nearest weekend to July 4. (Historically, that's around the same time that the aliens crash-landed.) One day I'd like to check out Amityville and the places where The Shining was filmed. In 2003, I went to St. Thomas, USVI. You might not think of the Caribbean as being very Halloweeny, but there were plenty of pirate and voodoo stories there at least. The weather is really nice in tropical climates in October, but the downside is that getting a tan ruins your ghoulish, white, undead complexion.

In October of 1998, I travelled to Salem, Massachusetts. I was very fortunate to have made the acquaintance of someone from there - someone whose family happened to own the funeral home closest to the center of town. How many other people can say they've been in a funeral home in Salem, Massachusetts on Halloween? I lead a very charmed life.

No comments:

Post a Comment